Beets were on sale recently so I had to take advantage. I really like the combination of beets and mandarin oranges, so I paired these with some fresh baby spinach to create a salad. To highlight the sweetness of the oranges, I also made a Champagne Orange Viniagrette dressing which brightened the whole salad together.
recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, roasted and diced
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups mandarin orange segments
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup Champagne Orange Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
In a salad bowl or serving dish, place the mixed greens and baby spinach
Top the spinach with the diced roasted beet
Sprinkle the top with the walnuts and crumble the goat cheese over the salad.
Place the mandarin oranges around the edge of the serving dish.
For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to emulsify and season with salt and peper to taste. Drizzle this dressing over the salad and serve.
* Roasting beets is not only easy but tastes so much better than canned or jarred versions. Simply take a beet, give it a good scrub under running water, and pat dry. Place on a sheet of foil and rub with oil or with cooking spray. Sprinkle some kosher salt over it and wrap it up in the foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and let it cool. Peel off the skin, give it a rinse under cold water and dice!