It’s no surprise that the Philippines is home to some of the most delicious desserts! There’s no better way to cool off on a hot day than with a slice of this delicious and fruity Filipino mango cake! In this article, you will learn the traditional Filipino recipe for the mango cake to make sure you get the sweetest and most flavorful cake out of every bite.
What Makes Mango Cake Popular in the Philippines?
The Filipino version of mango cake began in the late 50s, and ever since then, it has become a popular Filipino dessert. The tropical climate in the Philippines makes it ideal for growing mangoes, so they are the main ingredient in this sweet and fruity cake. The combination of mangoes and the distinctive flavors of Filipino culture make this cake truly special and unforgettable.
Mango cake also has a soft and airy texture, making it a light and fluffy dessert. When served up with a scoop of ice cream, it’s the perfect way to end a special meal or enjoy as a snack any time of day.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make A Filipino Mango Cake?
Making your own Filipino mango cake couldn’t be easier! Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a delicious, authentic Filipino mango cake:
- 2 cups of mango puree (one cup for the cake batter and one cup for the icing)
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ sticks of butter (3/4 cup of butter), melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Step-by-Step Instructions On How To Make Filipino Mango Cake
Now that you have all your ingredients, it’s time to start making your Filipino mango cake. Here are the steps to make a delicious Filipino mango cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan and then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and 1 cup of mango puree.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool completely before you ice it.
- To make the icing, mix together the remaining 1 cup of mango puree with enough powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Once everything is cooled, spread the icing over the cake and voila! Your Filipino mango cake is ready to be served.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does Filipino mango cake last?
Answer: Filipino mango cake can last up to a week if stored in the refrigerator.
2. Can Filipino mango cake be frozen?
Answer: Yes, Filipino mango cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
3. How do you store Filipino mango cake?
Answer: Filipino mango cake should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4. What is the best way to serve Filipino mango cake?
Answer: The best way to serve Filipino mango cake is with a scoop of ice cream.
5. Can Filipino mango cake be served without icing?
Answer: Yes, Filipino mango cake can be enjoyed on its own without icing.
6. What other ingredients can be added to a Filipino mango cake?
Answer: Other ingredients like nuts, coconut, or caramel can be added to the cake batter before baking for added flavor and texture.
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups mango puree
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 10” (26 cm) round cake pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add half of the flour mixture over the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Add the mango puree and mix until combined. Add the remaining flour and mix until combined.
Gently fold in the sour cream and heavy cream until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Cool completely before frosting and serving.
You may substitute the mango puree for other fruits of your choice.
Use a ripe mango for the best flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Filipino
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 200 kcal
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 240mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: Filipino Mango Cake, Mango Cake, Moist Cake, , , ,