This is a rich, hearty soup bursting with flavor that is loved by all and best served warm with a side of crusty bread. It’s a simple yet classic Cuban recipe that has been passed down for generations. It is a savory dish perfect for cold winter nights and creamy enough to warm your soul. Whether you are a novice or an expert, Cuban chicken soup recipe is one you must try at least once in your life.
What is Cuban Chicken Soup?
Cuban chicken soup is a traditional Cuban soup made with shredded chicken, potatoes, and vegetables in a clear, flavorful broth seasoned with garlic, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves. It is typically topped off with a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro. This comfort food dates back to the early days of colonialism in Cuba, when people had to make use of little ingredients. Traditional Cuban chicken soup is not considered spicy, but you can add your own twist by adding a bit of spice to the broth.
How to Make Cuban Chicken Soup
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken, potatoes, carrots, and green beans. Season with cumin, oregano, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the bay leaves and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Add the lime juice and fresh herbs and serve warm.
Why We Love Cuban Chicken Soup
Cuban chicken soup is a delicious and nutritious meal that provides a variety of health benefits. Some of the key benefits include:
- Improved Digestion: Cuban chicken soup is a good source of dietary fiber that helps keep your digestive tract healthy and functioning properly.
- Heart Health: The low-fat content of this soup makes it a healthier option for your heart health.
- Cancer Prevention: The ingredients in Cuban chicken soup contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that are known to prevent and reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Strengthens Your Immune System: This soup is full of vitamins and minerals that help boost your immune system and keep your body strong and healthy.
Tips and Tricks
– For a spicier soup, add some red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno pepper to the soup pot when cooking the onions.
– For a creamier soup, add a can of cream-style corn during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
– To make it vegetarian friendly, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and omit the chicken.
– To thicken the soup, mash some of the potatoes with a fork before serving or add a few tablespoons of cornstarch to the pot during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
– To add some zesty flavor, sprinkle a few drops of hot sauce over the soup before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can Cuban Chicken Soup be frozen?
A. Yes, Cuban Chicken Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Be sure to let it cool down completely before transferring it to airtight containers or freezer-safe bags.
Q. How many calories are in Cuban Chicken Soup?
A. Cuban chicken soup contains approximately 340 calories per serving.
Q. Is Cuban chicken soup vegetarian-friendly?
A. Yes, Cuban Chicken Soup can be made vegetarian-friendly by omitting the chicken and replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Q. How can I add flavor to Cuban chicken soup?
A. To add flavor, try adding hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or diced jalapeno pepper when cooking the onions. You can also add a can of cream-style corn during the last 10 minutes of cooking for a creamier soup.
Q. What are the health benefits of Cuban Chicken Soup?
A. Cuban chicken soup is a nutritious meal option that provides a variety of health benefits. Some of the key benefits include improved digestion, heart health, cancer prevention, and strengthened immunity.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 bay leaves
2 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, oregano, cumin, coriander, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in chicken and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve hot.
For a spicier soup, add more chili powder or red pepper flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 300 kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Keywords: Cuban Chicken Soup, Cuban Cuisine, Hearty Soup, , , ,