White Rum: The soul of the mojito, white rum adds the needed kick while maintaining a clean taste. Aim for 2 oz (60 ml) per serving.
Fresh Lime Juice: Providing acidity and freshness, the lime juice brightens up the cocktail. You’ll need about 1 oz (30 ml) for each mojito.
Mint Leaves: Essential for that refreshing mojito taste. 10-12 fresh leaves should do the trick.
Sugar or Simple Syrup: To balance the tartness. 2 tsp (10 ml) is typically sufficient.
Activated Charcoal: The game-changer. A pinch of edible, activated charcoal transforms your drink, giving the Black Mojito its signature color.
Soda Water: For that effervescent touch. Top up your drink with around 4 oz (120 ml).
Ice: Crushed or cubes, it’s up to you.
- Muddling Right: Begin by muddling the mint leaves with sugar or simple syrup. Remember, don’t pulverize; gentle muddling releases the mint oils without making the drink bitter.
- Add the Drama: Introduce the activated charcoal. Ensure it’s mixed well to avoid any clumps.
- In Comes the Zest: Add in the fresh lime juice.
- Time for the Kick: Pour in the white rum.
- Ice, Ice, Baby: Fill the glass with your choice of ice.
- Top It Off: Finish with soda water, ensuring a gentle stir to integrate all elements.
- Garnish & Serve: A sprig of mint or a lime wheel makes for a visually appealing garnish.