I remember when my husband first told me that he wasn’t a big fan of meatloaf. Then I quickly went to work to wow him with one of my favorite meatloaf recipes. Needless to say, he’s been a huge fan ever since and meatloaf has been on our fall dinner rotations for the past several years.
This particular version is made in the Instant Pot with seasoned baby potatoes cooking at the same time! If you have yet to try cooking 2 separate items in an Instant Pot at the same time, here’s one to check out!Print
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup for glaze
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- Place baby potatoes, onion and broth in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle seasoned salt over the top
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Form into a loaf that will fit into your Instant Pot
- Using a sheet of foil form a pan to cook the meatloaf
- Place the meatloaf on the trivet and add on top of the potatoes
- Add meatloaf on top of trivet
- Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes with a 10 minute natural release
- After the 10 minute natural release, manually release any remaining pressure
- Remove the lid and move the meatloaf to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes
- Glaze meatloaf with ketchup and serve with the potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: easy meatloaf recipe, instant pot meatloaf and potatoes
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot Meatloaf and Potatoes
Obviously, you’re going to need an Instant Pot. Any standard size should do.
Other Essential Tools
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
Prepping the Meat
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, egg, and spices.
Prepping the Potatoes
Peel and cube the potatoes. The smaller the cubes, the faster they’ll cook.
Tips for Making the Perfect Instant Pot Meatloaf
Mixing the Meatloaf
Mix all your meatloaf ingredients thoroughly but don’t overdo it; you don’t want a tough loaf.
Layering in the Instant Pot
Place the cubed potatoes at the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour a cup of water over them. Then, shape your meatloaf and place it on a piece of foil. Put the meatloaf on top of the potatoes.
Cooking the Meal
Secure the Instant Pot lid and set it to pressure cook on high for 25 minutes. Once done, let the pressure release naturally.
Carefully remove the meatloaf and potatoes. Mash the potatoes with milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Top the meatloaf with ketchup if you like.
Why Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot drastically reduces cooking time. Isn’t that a dream come true?
Pressure cooking retains more nutrients than traditional cooking methods. So it’s healthier too!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
- Absolutely! Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- How can I make it vegetarian?
- You can use plant-based meat and replace the egg with a vegan alternative like flaxseed meal.
- Do I have to peel the potatoes?
- No, but peeling them will give you smoother mashed potatoes.
- What if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
- You can use a traditional pressure cooker, but cooking times may vary.
- Can I freeze the leftovers?
- Yes, but make sure to store the meatloaf and potatoes separately for best results.