- 3 lbs beef short ribs, flanked or English cut*** (see note below)
- 1 cup soy sauce (I use Silver Swan, a Filipino brand, but any would do, even low sodium)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- I head of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1–2 stalks green onions, sliced thin for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds for garnish
- Plug in the IP with insert set in place.
- Add the beef ribs to the IP.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, vinegar, ginger, garlic and red pepper. Transfer mixture over the ribs in the IP.
- Secure the lid of the IP and ensure the valve is set to SEALING.
- Press MANUAL and adjust the time to 15-20 minutes on HIGH pressure for English cut/7-8 minutes on HIGH pressure for flanken cut.
- The display will reflect ON while the IP comes to pressure. Allow a few minutes for your IP to come to pressure.
- Once at pressure, the display will reflect the number of minutes you initially set and will begin to countdown to 0 minutes.
- When the IP beeps after pressure cooking, allow your IP to naturally release pressure for 15 minutes. While naturally releasing pressure (also known as NRP or NR), the display will reflect numbers counting up from 1. The numbers indicate how many minutes the IP has stopped cooking since it beeped (or how many minutes it has been naturally releasing pressure). No need to touch your IP while it naturally releases pressure.
- When the display reflects the 15 minutes since the IP has beeped, turn the setting on top of your IP to VENTING. Doing so allows the IP to quickly release pressure (also known as QRP or QR). I use a wooden spoon to carefully turn the setting to avoid close contact with the potential steam. You may also want to turn your IP away from cabinets to allow the released steam to escape freely. The pin at the top of your IP will drop when all pressure has been released. Then, it’s safe to open.
- Open up your IP when the pin has dropped (allow a few minutes for this to happen).
- Using tongs, remove the ribs serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Alternatively, you can also remove the ribs from the IP and transfer them onto a baking sheet. Broil the ribs in the oven for a few minutes until you reached the char or color you want.
*** I’ve also made this recipe with 5 lbs of ribs… and with that amount, I pressure cook as follows:
5lbs English Cut Ribs = 35 mins HIGH pressure; 15 mins natural release
5lbs Flanken Cut Rubs = 20 mins HIGH pressure; 15 mins natural release
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Calories: 481.3 kcal
- Sugar: 16.51 g
- Sodium: 955.2 mg
- Fat: 19.56 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.57 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.11 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 35.45 g
- Cholesterol: 97.68 g
Keywords: instant pot short ribs, beef short ribs instant pot, korean short ribs