When I think of Mediterranean cuisine, one of the first things that come to mind is hummus. Hummus is generally chickpeas and tahini processed together with a few seasonings and herbs. Rather than making the usual traditional version, I wanted a more refreshing flavor to add to our Mediterranean Grill Party menu. As I was searching for possible menu items, I came across this recipe for Lemon Artichoke Hummus. It’s exactly what I hoped for – bright, refreshing and so easy to make!
This recipe is wonderfully light and a perfect accompaniment to other Mediterranean inspired dishes. The bright notes of lemon shines through with lemon juice and lemon zest used while the flavor of artichoke lies in the background. Served with various vegetable crudite or pita bread, this makes for a healthy snack.
Lemon Artichoke Hummus
recipe adapted from RecipeThing
Lemon Artichoke Hummus Ingredients
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, packed in water, rinsed, patted dry& chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons tahini , stirred well
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14 oz-can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- pinch of paprika for garnish
Lemon Artichoke Hummus Recipe Instructions
- Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
- Process chickpeas, 3/4 cup chopped artichokes, garlic, lemon zest, salt, cumin, cayenne, and parsley in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds.
- Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula and add the lemon juice and water.
- Continue processing for another minute.
- With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl.
- Sprinkle reserved artichokes and paprika over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.