So last night, I realized at about 7pm that I needed to make a tiramisu for my friend’s bday today. Having been in my pjs all day, I dreaded getting dressed to go to the store. I decided to take a chance and whip up something with the ingredients on hand.
The end result? Not exactly a tiramisu, but a chocolate chai trifle! The birthday gal loved it! Michele turned a 50 years young today and she definitely deserved something extra special. Here are pics of her birthday dinner and the recipe for my Chocolate Chai Trifle I made in her honor:
Chocolate Chai Trifle:
1 box devils food cake mix
– Prepare as directed; cool.
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 half & half
– Whisk above ingredients in a heat proof bowl.
Place bowl over a saucepan of gently boiling water.
Continue whisking egg mixture over the boiling water until it lightens in color and reaches “ribbon” stage.
Remove bowl from heat and allow to cool.
2 cups heavy whipping cream
– Whip cream in stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
1 15oz container ricotta cheese
1 8oz brick cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
– Combine above ingredients in stand mixer with paddle attachment.
– Fold in cooled egg mixture.
– Fold in whipped cream.
1/2 cup prepared chai tea
– When cake has cooled, cube cake and place a layer in the bottom of your serving or trifle bowl.
– Sprinkle 1/2 of the chai tea over the cake.
– Top cake layer with cream/cheese/egg mixture.
– Repeat with cake layer, chai tea & cream/cheese/egg mixture.
– Allow trifle to chill in fridge overnight to meld flavors.
– Before serving, sprinkle chai tea or grated chocolate over the top.