Chinese cuisine has been around since ancient times and it continues to be one of the most popular worldwide. In terms of iconic dishes, one that comes to mind is salted fish fried rice. This savory dish is a perfect way to add some extra flavor and texture to your favorite staple of Chinese food. In this article, we will cover the essential basics of salted fish fried rice, from the ingredients to the cooking techniques, and even offer a few tips on how to make it even better. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Once you have all the ingredients ready for the salted fish fried rice, the next step is to get the prep work done. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you should try to have everything prepped and cut before you start cooking. Here are the steps for getting the ingredients ready:
– Cook the white rice according to the instructions on the package.
– Peel the carrots and chop them into small cubes.
– Cut the mushrooms into thin slices.
– Dice the red pepper.
– Peel and mince the garlic.
– Dice the onions.
– Flake the cooked salted fish into large pieces.
The Cooking Process
Now it’s time to get to the fun part: cooking the salted fish fried rice. This dish is actually quite easy to make, so even first-timers should be able to whip it up in no time. Here’s how:
1. Heat up a large pan or wok over medium-high heat and pour in the vegetable oil.
2. When the oil is hot, add in the garlic, onions, red pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
3. Pour in the cooked white rice and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and black pepper. Stir everything together and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Lastly, stir in the flaked salted fish and cook for 2 minutes.
Pro Tips for Making Perfect Salted Fish Fried Rice
If you want to take your salted fish fried rice to the next level, here are some tips and tricks that you can use:
– For a little extra crunch, add some diced bell peppers or diced snow peas into the dish.
– For a more complex flavor, add a few drops of fish sauce or a tablespoon of rice vinegar.
– If you like your fried rice spicier, add a chopped chili pepper or a few sprinkles of chili flakes.
– To give the dish a subtle sweetness, add a tablespoon of honey or a teaspoon of hoisin sauce.
Why We Love Salted Fish Fried Rice
Finally, let’s talk about the health benefits of salted fish fried rice. This dish is low in calories and saturated fat, and it’s also a great source of protein. It’s also quite versatile, so it can easily substitute for any other type of fried rice or stir-fry recipes. Additionally, the vegetables and salted fish add plenty of nutrients to the dish, including vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. So, not only is salted fish fried rice delicious, it’s also good for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are the ingredients for salted fish fried rice easy to find?
Yes, the ingredients are quite easy to find and can be found in most grocery stores.
2. Does this dish contain any allergens?
No, this dish does not contain any allergens.
3. What kind of fish is typically used in salted fish fried rice?
The most commonly used fish is cod, but any type of fish with a salty, umami flavor works.
4. Can this dish be served cold?
Yes, salted fish fried rice can definitely be served cold. However, it tastes best when it’s served hot.
5. Is salted fish fried rice healthy?
Yes, this dish is low in calories and saturated fat and it is also a great source of protein and other important nutrients.
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
3 tablespoons salted fish, shredded
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 stalk green onion, sliced
Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for one minute.
Add the cooked rice and salted fish, stirring until well combined. Sprinkle the white pepper over the rice mixture.
Add the soy sauce and eggs, stirring to combine.
Stir-fry until the eggs are cooked and the mixture is well combined. Add green onion and stir to combine.
The fried rice is best enjoyed when served immediately after cooking.
For a vegetarian option, omit the salted fish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 213 kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 310mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
Keywords: Salted Fish Fried Rice,Chinese Cuisine,Stir-Fry,,,,