Gnocchi Sardi (Malloreddus) Pasta:
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 1 cup warm water (more or less as needed)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground lamb or pork (or a mixture of both)
- 1 can (14 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp saffron threads, soaked in a little warm water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Pecorino cheese, for serving
Sautéing Base: In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until translucent.
Browning the Meat: Add the ground meat to the pan and brown it, breaking it up as it cooks.
Adding Tomatoes and Saffron: Pour in the crushed tomatoes and the saffron along with its soaking water. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until it thickens and the flavors meld.
Serving: Toss the cooked Malloreddus with the sauce. Serve with a generous sprinkle of freshly grated Pecorino cheese on top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: Gnocchi Sardi