This is a recipe that my friend Megan made for my annual Holiday Cookie Swap. So delicious and a great way to sneak in cake!
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 oz. red food coloring (2 – 1 oz. bottles)
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. vinegar
1 c. buttermilk
Cream sugar, eggs, and shortening. Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa. Add to mixture; add flour with salt alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla. Last of all fold in vinegar and baking soda mixture.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes in 2 (9-inch) pans.
8 oz. cold cream cheese
5 Tbsp. softened butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Powdered sugar to your taste
Beat 8 oz. cold cream cheese (not rock solid, but it means you can use it straight out of the refrigerator) with 5 Tbsp. softened butter and 2 tsp. vanilla until combined. Gradually add 2 c. powdered sugar that has been sifted after measuring. Continue to add more sifted powdered sugar until you reach a consistency and sweetness that fits your taste.
process taken from Bakerella
Prepared Red Velvet Cake above
Prepared Cream Cheese Frosting above
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with cream cheese frosting prepared above.
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet.
4. Chill for several hours.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)