Do you want to whip up something quick yet delicious and nutritious for both a special meal or a regular dinner? Look no further than this green curry mussels recipe. With its spicy yet oh-so-flavorful and nutritious ingredients, it’s guaranteed to be a hit. The best part? Preparation and cooking time are just 30 minutes for this delectable dish.
What Are Mussels?
Mussels are mollusks found in coastal regions. They have unique shells which can range from black, blue, green, or yellow, and each mussel is usually two to five inches long. Not only are mussels a good source of protein, but they have essential vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and selenium. This makes them perfect for anyone looking to add a nutritious and tasty addition to their diet.
Benefits of Eating Mussels
The benefits of including mussels in your meal plan are endless. They contain Vitamins A and B12, calcium, iron, potassium, and essential omega-3 fatty acids, all of which aid in brain and brain health. Mussels are packed with zinc which helps muscle development, phosphorus for strong bones, and copper for energy production. Plus, they offer very few calories which makes them a great choice for those on a weight-loss journey.
What Ingredients Are Needed?
To make this dish you will need:
– 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
– 2 shallots, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger
– 2 teaspoons of curry powder
– 2 tablespoons of Thai green curry paste
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– 1 cup of coconut milk
– 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
– 1 red chilli, finely sliced
– 3 pounds mussels
– A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
– 1 lime, cut into wedges
– Salt and pepper to taste
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Perfect Green Curry Mussels
1. Begin by heating the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and adding the shallots, garlic, and ginger. Cook for three minutes or until they are fragrant and golden brown.
2. Add in the curry powder, Thai green curry paste, and tomato paste. Stir for two minutes, until the ingredients are combined and a thick paste has formed.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add the fish sauce and chilli and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the mussels into the pan and stir for one minute, until the mussels are completely covered with the green curry mixture.
6. Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until the mussels have opened and are cooked through.
7. Serve the mussels with a sprinkle of fresh coriander, a squeeze of lime, and some jasmine or sticky rice on the side. Enjoy!
– If you can’t find Thai green curry paste, you can make it yourself using either store-bought or fresh ingredients.
– If you’re not a fan of chilli, you can leave it out or replace it with red bell peppers or sweet potato.
– If you don’t have fish sauce, you can replace it with soy sauce or tamari.
– Make sure to discard any mussels that have already opened before cooking and don’t overcook them or they will become rubbery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is green curry mussels a healthy dish?
A: Yes, green curry mussels is a very healthy dish. It is full of essential vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and selenium as well as omega-3 fatty acids. The dish also contains few calories and is a good source of protein.
Q: How long does it take to cook green curry mussels?
A: The cooking time for green curry mussels is just 30 minutes.
Q: Can I leave out the chilli?
A: Yes, if you don’t like spicy food, you can leave out the chilli or replace it with red bell peppers or sweet potato for a milder flavour.
Q: Can I make my own Thai green curry paste?
A: Yes, you can make your own Thai green curry paste using either store-bought or fresh ingredients.
Q: Is there a vegetarian version of green curry mussels?
A: Yes, you can make a vegetarian version by replacing the fish sauce with soy sauce or tamari and replacing the mussels with tofu or tempeh.
Q: How many mussels do I need to make this dish?
A: To make this dish, you will need about 3 pounds of mussels.
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 tablespoons green curry paste
1 can coconut milk
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon chilli powder (optional)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the curry paste and tomato paste and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mussels and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the mussels are cooked and open.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro before serving.
For an extra kick, add more chilli powder according to your taste preference.
For a creamier texture, add 1/4 cup of cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 350 kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 800mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: Green Curry Mussels, Indian Cuisine, Spicy Mussels, , , ,