1 cup dried garbanzo beans
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 carrots, diced
3 potatoes, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 14–oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Soak the garbanzo beans in 4 cups of cold water overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the soaked garbanzo beans before using.
3. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
4. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, garbanzo beans, cumin, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
7. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
9. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired.
For a richer stew, you can add a bit of tomato paste.
Feel free to add other vegetables to the stew, such as zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, or kale.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 300 kcal
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Spanish Garbanzo Stew, Vegan, Stovetop, , , ,