Arroz con pollo is a popular Cuban dish made with chicken, rice, and a variety of herbs and spices. This dish is a traditional Cuban celebration recipe and is served with family and friends, and is perfect for special occasions like birthdays and weddings. It is fairly easy to make and can be prepared in just under an hour with minimal effort. This versatile dish is sure to become the star of your next Cuban-inspired meal!
Key Ingredients in Arroz con Pollo
Arroz con pollo is made with simple ingredients that are easy to find. The base ingredients of arroz con pollo are chicken, rice, and a variety of herbs and spices. The chicken should be skinless and boneless, preferably chicken breasts. The kind of rice used for the dish does not matter, though brown rice is best if you want a healthier option. You can also use white rice if you are looking to have the dish more quickly. The herbs and spices used in arroz con pollo are many, and the recipe may vary depending on the region and the cook. Usually, the traditional herbs and spices used in the dish are cumin, oregano, garlic, onion, and bay leaves. Additionally, paprika, cayenne pepper, and olives are sometimes used, depending on personal preference.
Preparing and Cooking Your Arroz con Pollo
The first step in preparing arroz con pollo is to season the chicken. Cubans typically season the chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin, as well as any other spices like paprika or cayenne pepper. Once the chicken is seasoned, set it aside while you prepare the other ingredients. The next step is to prepare the vegetables. Chop the garlic, onions, and olives (if using) and sauté them in a pan with a bit of olive oil. When the vegetables are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside. Next, add the chicken to the pan and cook it until it is golden-brown, stirring often to ensure the chicken is cooked evenly. Once the chicken is cooked, add the cooked vegetables back to the pan and stir to combine. Now it’s time to add the rice. Rinse the rice several times and then add it to the pan with the chicken and vegetables. Add enough water to cover the ingredients, and season the dish with salt, pepper, oregano, and bay leaves. Bring the dish to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Once the water starts to boil reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Let the dish cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
How to Serve Arroz con Pollo
Once the arroz con pollo is done cooking, uncover the pan and fluff the rice with a fork. Place the dish on a large platter and garnish with fresh herbs and lemon zest for a colourful presentation. Typically, arroz con pollo is served with a side of vegetables like peas, carrots, or green beans. But it can also be served with other traditional Cuban dishes like tostones, mojito, or a simple side salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is arroz con pollo? Arroz con pollo is a Cuban dish made with chicken, rice, and a variety of herbs and spices. It is a traditional Cuban recipe and is typically served with family and friends for special occasions.
2. What kind of ingredients do I need for arroz con pollo? Arroz con pollo is made with simple ingredients that can be found in most grocery stores. You will need skinless boneless chicken, rice, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion, and bay leaves. You can also use paprika, cayenne pepper, and olives, depending on your preference.
3. How do I prepare and cook arroz con pollo? To prepare and cook arroz con pollo, season the chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin. Then, sauté the garlic, onions, and olives in a pan. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until it is golden-brown. Add the cooked vegetables back to the pan, and add the rice. Cover the ingredients with water, season the dish with salt, pepper, oregano, and bay leaves, and let the dish cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed. When the dish is done cooking, fluff the rice and serve with a side of vegetables or other Cuban dishes.
4. Is arroz con pollo healthy? Arroz con pollo can be considered a healthy dish, as it contains a variety of vitamins and minerals.
5. How can I make arroz con pollo vegan? Arroz con pollo can easily be made vegan by substituting the chicken with plant-based proteins such as tofu or tempeh. You can also add extra vegetables to the dish for an extra nutritional boost.
6. What can I serve with arroz con pollo? Arroz con pollo is typically served with a side of vegetables such as peas, carrots, or green beans. It can also be served with other traditional Cuban dishes like tostones, mojito, or a simple side salad.Print
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 – 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
3 bell peppers, cut into thin strips
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed
1/3 cup green olives, chopped
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
Add chicken pieces, bell peppers, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt and stir to combine.
Cook until chicken is not pink anymore and vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
Stir in olives and cook for a few more minutes. Serve warm.
For extra flavor, add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika to the mixture.
You can also substitute the bell peppers with any other preferred vegetables.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Diet: Halal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 270 kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 800mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: Cuban Style Arroz con Pollo, Cuban Cuisine, Chicken and Rice Dish, , , ,